回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 9-3-2013 04:46 PM | 显示全部楼层
加上了一个地点。。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 9-3-2013 04:48 PM | 显示全部楼层
抄来的。。。
THERE is something in Penang that belongs to Johor, if the information I read on the Internet is correct. I’m talking about the brass cannon, Seri Rambai, at Fort Cornwallis in Penang. I have read enough Internet postings that tell me it belonged to Johor.
The Dutch, through the Dutch East India Company (VOC or Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie), had presented the brass cannon to the then Sultan of Johor, Sultan Riayat Shah III in 1606.
I haven’t gone to see the cannon but I’ve seen enough pictures to tell me that there is a VOC seal inscribed on the cannon.  
WORKMANSHIP: The VOC inscription is still clearly visible on the cannon after all these years.
There are two versions of the story of how the cannon ended up in Penang.
According to one of the stories, the Achehnese invaded Johor in 1613.
They not only took the royal family and a group of traders from the VOC back to Acheh, they also took the cannon.
The Sultan of Acheh then presented it as a gift to the Sultan of Selangor, who installed the cannon at Kota Malawati. Eventually, the Madras Native Infantry of the British Empire seized the cannon and brought it to Penang in 1871.
The other version tells of how the Portugese took possession of the cannon and that it ended up in Jawana in 1613. It was kept there until 1795, when it was brought to Selangor. In 1871, the British placed the cannon on board a ship called Seri Rambai to be transported to Penang.But, before the ship reached the island, it was sunk by pirates.
A number of attempts were made to salvage it. When they finally succeeded in doing so, the cannon was placed at Fort Cornwallis. The cannon was then named after the ship that sank with it.
It is unfortunate that none of the web postings tell us why the Dutch gave the cannon to the Sultan of Johor.
There are also no postings about the cannon being used when the Achehnese invaded Johor or when it was installed at Kota Malawati and then in Penang.
Back then, I don’t think a cannon would have been used for decorative purposes or as a tourist attraction.
By definition, a cannon is a type of artillery, usually large and tubular, that uses gunpowder or other explosive-based propellants to launch a projectile over a distance.
First used in China, cannons were among the earliest forms of gunpowder artillery.
The stories we read now talk about the “mystical” powers of the cannon.
A Lonely Planet publication entitled “Malaysia, Singapore & Brunei” written by Simon Richmond, Marie Cambon, Chris Rowthorn and Damian Harper states that the Seri Rambai was “the most-important and largest cannon at Fort Cornwallis”. It also highlighted the cannon’s supposed “procreative powers”.
The book goes on to say: “... childless women are advised to place flowers in the barrel of ‘the big one’ and offer special prayers”.
I think the state government, either on its own or with relevant bodies such as the Malaysian Historical Society, should put on record some of these historical relics, especially the history behind them, for the benefit of future generations.
Although some history buffs have written about the Seri Rambai based on their own findings, I found that each of them have their own versions of its history. Dates and names often differ.
The Seri Rambai cannon has become a tourist attraction at Fort Cornwallis in Penang so I doubt very much that the state government would want to give it back to its rightful owner.
However, that does not really bother me. I’m thankful that it is still in the country instead of some museums overseas, like some of our historical documents and artifacts.
HISTORICAL RELIC: The Seri Rambai cannon is a popular tourist attraction.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

版权所有 © 1996-2023 Cari Internet Sdn Bhd (483575-W)|IPSERVERONE 提供云主机|广告刊登|关于我们|私隐权|免控|投诉|联络|脸书|佳礼资讯网

GMT+8, 6-5-2024 02:11 AM , Processed in 0.053662 second(s), 21 queries , Gzip On.